Wednesday 22 February 2012

Postmodern Music - Research - The Time (Dirty Bit) by The Black Eyed Peas

When looking at ‘sampling’, this song immediately came to mind because of its use of sampling (click on link below for Wikipedia article). It uses samples/interpolations from ‘(I’ve had) The Time of My Life’ soundtrack from the film Dirty Dancing (1987):


Couldn’t get an embed code for the Dirty Dancing (1987) clip so click HERE for the link.

Comparisons to Deadmau5 - From Wikipedia Page of 'The Time (Dirty Bit)':

Critics also noted similarities between "The Time (Dirty Bit)" and works by record producer Deadmau5.[9] The record producer spoke of the similarities through his official Facebook account. He likened the Black Eyed Peas song to the remix of "You and I" by Medina, a song he produced. "I so know that hi-hat... and the pattern it was in... so I went to my masters folder, cracked open my instrumental mix of 'You and I' remix thing I did for Medina... and there it was again, staring me in the face". The producer stated he welcomed the usage of sampling in electronic music, "This isn't calling the Black Eyed Peas out at all. This is just another interesting factoid I keep finding about sampling and electronic music".

No comments:

Post a Comment